Javascript-Wordle: A clone of the popular game Wordle made using React, Typescript, and Tailwind

Wordle Clone

• Go play the real Wordle here
  • Read the story behind it here
  • Try a demo of this clone project here

Inspiration: This game is an open source clone of the immensely popular online word guessing game Wordle. Like many others all over the world, I saw the signature pattern of green, yellow, and white squares popping up all over social media and the web and had to check it out. After a few days of play, I decided it would be great for my learning to try to rebuild Wordle in React!

Design Decisions: I used a combination of React, Typescript, and Tailwind to build this Wordle Clone. When examining the original Wordle, I assumed the list might come from an external API or database, but after investigating in chrome dev tools I found that the list of words is simply stored in an array on the front end. I'm using the same list as the OG Wordle uses, but watch out for spoilers if you go find the file in this repo! The word match functionality is simple: the word array index increments each day from a fixed game epoch timestamp (only one puzzle per day!) roughly like so:

WORDS[Math.floor((NOW_IN_MS - GAME_EPOCH_IN_MS) / ONE_DAY_IN_MS)]

React enabled me to componentize the littlest parts of the game - keys and letter cells - and use them as the building blocks for the keyboard, word grid, and winning solution graphic. As for handling state, I used the built in useState and useEffect hooks to track guesses, whether the game is won, and to conditionally render popups.

In addition to other things, Typescript helped ensure type safety for the statuses of each guessed letter, which were used in many areas of the app and needed to be accurate for the game to work correctly.

I implemented Tailwind mostly because I wanted to learn how to use Tailwind CSS, but I also took advantage of Tailwind UI with their headless package to build the modals and notifications. This was such an easy way to build simple popups for how to play, winning the game, and invalid words.

To Run Locally: Clone the repository and perform the following command line actions:

• npm init
  • npm run start

I'm looking for a junior developer role

Please feel free to contact me on linkedin and learn more about me here

Comments

App doesn't reset

Jan 19, 2022

Great app but no reset to clear previous game

A stats dialog to keep track of your record

Jan 19, 2022

Hi I have tried to add a stats dialog to show how well you are performing along the lines of the real Wordle one.. I hope you enjoy and above all any ideas to improve the functionality - or coding style (I have not tried javascript/typescript or tailwind and React before so it is a learning experience...

Added x button to modal dialogs Issue #20

Jan 17, 2022

Not a big event but my first excursion into (a) participation and (b) tailwindcss

Two player game

Jan 16, 2022

I have an idea to extend this to a two player game. I wonder if you would consider doing it as a paid project? If so please get in touch, my email is in my profie.

Fix(docs) : add bash style syntax highlighting

Jan 12, 2022

null

Add heroku file and button

Jan 18, 2022

Hi,

with this, you can host your own version of your code with one click on Heroku free tier.

Greetings

• Won't reload page for a new turn after closing
    Won't reload page for a new turn after closing "You won" pop-up

Jan 12, 2022

null

Missing Valid Words

Jan 12, 2022

Hey, first up this is fantastic. Been playing around trying to make my own version and was great to stumble across this.

Just thought I'd let you know, it seems to be missing part of the word list. I noticed that my first 3 guesses (roate, areas, and conga) were all not valid words, when I know they work on the normal wordle.

I had a look and I can see your words list matches the var in the wordle source code named "La", but I noted that after this list, there is a second var named "Ta" that has the rest of the words. I'm guessing one is a list of the daily words and the other is a list of valid answers?