Rust-Rust sfml: Rust bindings for SFML, the Simple and Fast Multimedia Library.

rust-sfml Build Status crates.io

Rust bindings for SFML, the Simple and Fast Multimedia Library.

Requirements

Documentation

The API documentation is available at: https://docs.rs/sfml/

If you need help with setting up rust-sfml on your system, you can take a look at the wiki.
Please take note that:

• This wiki is supported by the community
  • The rust-sfml core team doesn't review it
  • Your contribution is welcome

License

This software is a binding of the SFML library created by Laurent Gomila, which is provided under the Zlib/png license.

This software is provided under the same license as SFML, the Zlib/png license.

Comments

Implement Mul for Transform

Jun 2, 2019

Since chaining multiple calls to Transform::combine is inconvenient, imho the usability of Transform would benefit from having the Mul trait implemented.

I'm guessing the implementation would go something like this:

impl Mul for Transform {
        type Output = Transform;

fn mul(mut self, rhs: Transform) -> Transform {
            self.combine(&rhs);
            self

(However, being relatively new to Rust I don't know if there are any caveats preventing this implementation from working correctly.)

Progress and implementation of RcSprite

Jun 29, 2019

I'd like to know. What prevents RcSprite from being published in a new version of rust-sfml ? I've been struggling for two days over storing a Texture and a Sprite side by side, and I think RcSprite is what I need to not go insane in developing using rust-sfml.

Is it safe to copy the implementation of the branch rcsprite in my code or is it still an incomplete prototype ? What could I do to help develop this feature ?

Shader.set_uniform_texture() texture borrow lifetime is too restrictive

Jan 5, 2020

Borrowing the texture for its entire lifetime renders this method unusable:

1. It means the texture can not be updated anymore.
    2. Even if the texture is created just for the call, it can not be discarded anymore because: borrow might be used here, when 'shader' is dropped and runs the 'Drop' code for type 'sfml::graphics::Shader'
    3. Thus, the shader needs to be recompiled for every texture update, which is not acceptable.
    Vertex::new has inconsistent constructors

Mar 21, 2020

Currently, sfml::graphics::Vertex has several constructors:

pub fn new<P: Into<Vector2f>>(position: P, color: Color, tex_coords: Vector2f) -> Self;
        pub fn with_pos<P: Into<Vector2f>>(position: P) -> Self;
        pub fn with_pos_color<P: Into<Vector2f>>(position: P, color: Color) -> Vertex;
        pub fn with_pos_coords<P: Into<Vector2f>>(position: P, tex_coords: Vector2f) -> Vertex;

I see a couple of problems with this interface:

1. why is position a generic type but the other ones aren't?
    2. these constructors don't cover all cases (where is with_color?)

Problem 2. is minor (it's arguably rarely needed), but problem 1. is a bit annoying. If I want to interface with SFML from my own application - using a different Vector2 type - I cannot just do Vertex::new(v, color, v) if v is my Vector type (with impl Into<sfml::system::Vector2f>): I'm forced to convert it myself or it won't be accepted as the third argument. The same goes for color.

Moreover, having a trait bound on the generic type prevents these constructors to be const functions (today trait bounds on const fn are unstable).

So my proposal is:

1. either remove the genericity and only accept Vector2f - and in the process, make the functions const (my favourite solution), or
    2. make every argument generic.

Of course proposal 1. breaks retrocompatibility, but I think it would be an acceptable tradeoff (sfml-rust is still 0.x after all).

[Question] loading sRGB textures

May 11, 2020

I cannot figure out how you're supposed to load an sRGB texture from disk (or memory, or image). In SFML, you would do:

sf::Texture texture;
    texture.setSrgb(true);
    texture.loadFromFile(...);

But in rust-sfml this is not possible as from_file (and all the from_ functions) are static. Am I missing something here?

Edit: I peeked into the CSFML API and apparently it's more of a CSFML issue, as the loadFrom* functions are not exposed for some reason, so I'm gonna open this issue in the CSFML repo.

Question: How to open opengl inside sfml window with rust

May 19, 2020

I was just wondering how I can use opengl within rust-sfml...with cpp I could include the sfml/opengl.hpp header but I can't find documentation on how to do it with rust.

Added antialiasing, and a new pong example using AA

Mar 29, 2016

Here are two pictures, with a pair of modified Pong examples with a ball radius of 30. and antialiasing levels 0 and 8 respectively.

Without AA

With 8xAA

I have a low-res monitor, but I think the difference is clearly visible.

Remove borrow who are too restrictive

Jan 28, 2014

Borrow pointer seems to be too restrictive, I've made a branch with a replacement using Rc< Refcell< Resource>> to handle SFML resource.

Someone had Review on this?

@darnuria? @krzat? @KarlZylinski you seems to have problems with borrow pointers, is Rc a good replacement?

Undefined references when linking on Linux

Nov 22, 2013

I'm having trouble linking rust-sfml on Linux. I'm using the same ppa as rust-sfml is using for Travis, but when it reaches the linking stage, a bunch of undefined reference errors are thrown: https://travis-ci.org/dguenther/rustchip/builds/14399546

I've had the same trouble on my local build server. Does anyone have any ideas how to debug this?

Add input stream functionality

Aug 1, 2015

Rendering issue on win 7

Oct 25, 2013

Having issues with rendering on the windows 7 platform. The example provided which is supposed to draw a red cricle on a greenish-blue background just draws a black screen. Changing the colours used result in the same black screen. Although drawing the shape when a colour has not been assigned results in a white circle with a black background.

I have tried rsfml on two windows 7 machines, same result. I have also tried rsfml in Ubuntu (same machine), no problems and works as intended. I have tried the c++-sfml build on windows 7 (same machine), no problems and works as intended.

Not sure where this issues is coming from, thanks.

[WIP] Add SoundRecorder

Oct 7, 2017

Fixes #170. This is work in progress PR for adding SoundRecorder functionality to rust-sfml. I also created an example on how the the functionality could be used. I welcome any suggestions on how to improve the API. I still need to add documentation and work a bit more on the unsafe functions. Now the compiler is optimizing the closures during monomorphisation so much that I don't even need the void* because the function call gets inlined directly. But syntactically I still need an instance of the type of the closure to call it (I think). If there is a way to call a closure just by knowing it's type please let me know ?.