Rust-Ketos: ketos — A Lisp dialect functional programming language serving as a scripting and extension language for rust

Ketos

Ketos is a Lisp dialect functional programming language.

The primary goal of Ketos is to serve as a scripting and extension language for programs written in the Rust programming language.

Ketos is compiled to bytecode and interpreted by pure Rust code.

API Documentation

ketos_derive Documentation

Language Documentation

Building the library

To build Ketos into your Rust project, add the following to your Cargo.toml:

[dependencies]
ketos = "0.11"

And add the following to your crate root:

extern crate ketos;

Building the REPL

Build and run tests:

cargo test

Build optimized executable:

cargo build --release

Usage

ketos can be run as an interpreter to execute Ketos code files (.ket) or run as an interactive read-eval-print loop.

License

Ketos is distributed under the terms of both the MIT license and the Apache License (Version 2.0).

See LICENSE-APACHE and LICENSE-MIT for details.

Comments

Bytecode binary format gets decoded on every function call?

Aug 7, 2017

I was noodling around in the code and discovered that, as far as I can tell, the bytecode interpreter decodes the binary instructions to Instruction when a function is called, not when the bytecode is loaded. This means that every time a function is called it has to re-decode all the instructions. On a benchmark program (fib implemented the dumb way) on Linux AMD64, it spent about 15% of the time in ketos::bytecode::Instruction::decode(), the highest of any function as recorded by perf.

I haven't successfully made it decode the bytecode and store the result only once yet, but once I manage I'll post comparative benchmarks here.

Specify struct type in struct fields

Mar 29, 2018

I tried to specify a struct name as a field type:

ketos=> (struct foo ((a string)))
    foo
    ketos=> (struct bar ((b foo)))
    bar
    ketos=> (new bar :b (new foo :a "fails"))
    Traceback:

In main, lambda
      In system function new

execution error: type error for field `b` of struct `bar`: expected foo; found struct: foo { a: "fails" }
    ketos=> (struct baz ((b struct)))
    baz
    ketos=> (new baz :b (new foo :a "works"))
    baz { b: foo { a: "works" } }

The error confused me for a while until I realized the type for all struct values is "struct". Could it allow you to specify a struct type for a field?

Also, the definition for bar was accepted, even though there is no such type foo - every attempt to create a bar will fail to typecheck!

How can a lambda call itself?

Mar 24, 2019

I'm trying to create a function that returns a function that calls itself. I tried this:

(define (multo ex) (let ((f (lambda (n) (if
                            (= 0 n)
                            (* ex (f (- n 1))))))) f))
    (println "~s" ((multo 3) 3))

But it doesn't work because the lambda can't refer to f inside the definition. How do I achieve this?

Add basic time module

Mar 26, 2019

This pull request would add a basic time module. The module provides two functions (utc-timestamp and local-timestamp) that return the current time in UTC or your local timezone as the number of seconds since January 1st 1970. The module uses chrono::offset to get the time in UTC and your local timezone and will add a dependency on chrono version 0.4.

If anyone would like to write a more complete time library I can help. This module is currently an minimal implementation containing only what I need.

Project logo?

May 23, 2019

I thought it might be fun to have a logo for the project ... I'll attach some ideas I had.

[feature request] function define in a function define

Jun 1, 2019

ketos=> (define (x)
                (define (x-1) "hello")
                (x-1))
    Traceback:

In main, define x

execution error: type error: expected string; found list: (define (x-1) "hello")

Would something like this be planned to be added to ketos? #60 is related in the sense that let-rec, and define in this way would achieve lambda recursion as well.

Cannot insert variable into global scope from within `let`.

Aug 4, 2017

Attempting to use define to insert a variable into the global scope from within a let statement throws an error. A minimal example to demonstrate

extern crate ketos;

use ketos::{Interpreter, FromValue};

fn main() {
        let interp = Interpreter::new();

match interp.run_code(r#"
            (let ((plus +) (mult *)) (
                (define ten (mult (plus 3 2) 2))
            "#, None) {
            Ok(k) => k,
            Err(e) => panic!(interp.display_error(&e)),
        };

let m = i32::from_value(interp.get_value("ten").unwrap()).unwrap();

println!("{}", m);

will throw

execution error: type error: expected function; found name: ten

In contrast, if we change the Ketos code executed to

...
    match interp.run_code(r#"
        (define ten (* (+ 3 2) 2))
    "#, None) {
    ...

this code executes without error, printing 10.

Multithreading support?

Apr 1, 2017

Hi.

Does ketos support multithreading? Can I start a thread within ketos and return something from it? Futures? Mutexes?

Would be nice to have these!

Trouble deriving attributes for structs with particular fields

Jul 17, 2017

I'm having a problem when trying to define a structure that creates a data structure such as a tree or list:

...
    #[derive(Clone, Debug, ForeignValue, FromValueClone, StructValue)]
    pub struct LList {
        data: String,
        point: Option<Box<LList>>,
    ...

This causes the complier to throw errors related to point. I tried creating wrapper structures for Option and Box and deriving the attributes on those, but that failed.

I hope I'm not missing something simple, I'm still a bit new to Rust.

Allow Global Scope clone

Oct 19, 2016

It is possible to allow cloning of the global scope?

I have a server that receives many requests, I want to be able to execute code from a base scope from each request, without values or macros defined in any given request leaking into the global scope.

Add Bitwise operators

Sep 22, 2018

I was very pleased to find this project, it was almost exactly what I was looking for. One thing I was missing was bitwise operators, so I implemented them. If this isn't what you want for ketos, go ahead and close the PR.

My main concern is in the naming of the ketos functions: I see there is a tendency to use terse function names. so I made AND & and OR |. For XOR, I went with bit-xor since ^ is already being used for exponentiation. I considered naming the others bit-and and bit-or, but it didn't seem to be consistent with the shift functions.

Since it's pre 1.0 software, I would assume there's some flexibility. I imagined you could:

• rename ^ to pow (Maybe even stick it in the math module) and use &, | and ^ for bitwise.
    • all three could be named bit- while considering using something like shiftl and shiftr

If you're interested, but would like some changes, please let me know! Thank you for building this project.

About sexp by sexp multi line editing

Sep 16, 2018

I saw ketos' repl handles sexp across multi lines in the following way ::

ketos=> (+ 1 2
    ketos(> 3
    ketos(> (+ 4 5
    ketos(> )
    ketos(> )
    ketos=>

Is it possible to use linefeed to support sexp by sexp multi line editing ? (like the repl of chez-scheme)

(see also https://github.com/kkawakam/rustyline/issues/153)