Python-Pynsist: Build Windows installers for Python applications

Pynsist is a tool to build Windows installers for your Python applications. The installers bundle Python itself, so you can distribute your application to people who don't have Python installed.

Pynsist 2 requires Python 3.5 or above. You can use Pynsist 1.x on Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 or above.

For more information, see the documentation and the examples.

Quickstart

1. Get the tools. Install NSIS, and then install pynsist from PyPI by running pip install pynsist.

2. Write a config file installer.cfg, like this:

[Application]
    name=My App
    version=1.0
    # How to launch the app - this calls the 'main' function from the 'myapp' package:
    entry_point=myapp:main
    icon=myapp.ico

[Python]
    version=3.6.3

[Include]
    # Packages from PyPI that your application requires, one per line
    # These must have wheels on PyPI:
    pypi_wheels = requests==2.18.4
         beautifulsoup4==4.6.0
         html5lib==0.999999999

# To bundle packages which don't publish wheels, or to include directly wheel files
    # from a directory, see the docs on the config file.

# Other files and folders that should be installed
    files = LICENSE
        data_files/
  3. Run pynsist installer.cfg to generate your installer. If pynsist isn't found, you can use python -m nsist installer.cfg instead.

This example illustrates how to use Pynsist by itself, for simple projects. There are other options which can make it easier to integrate as a step in a more complex build process. See the docs for more information.

Comments

PyPy

Oct 19, 2019

Is it possible to tell pynsist to bundle the PyPy Windows files instead of the official one?

Github Actions YAML Build

Apr 18, 2020

I am trying to create a GitHub action that will use Pynsist to generate an installer file for my project on my github repository. I wondered if anyone has a working example of a YAML script that can be executed using github actions to carry out the following:

1. Installs NSIS onto the GitHub runner machine (not sure if this should be done on GitHub Ubuntu or Windows).
    2. Installs python 3.7.
    3. Installs pynsist and the other python dependencies
    4. Runs a python script which generates the installer.cfg file and then calls pynsist to execute the installer.cfg.
    Executable did not run on fresh Windows 10 install.

Apr 25, 2020

I am not sure if the issue is related this --> https://github.com/takluyver/pynsist/issues/176. My application which I made in Windows 7 on Virtual box worked fine on my previous Windows 10, both in virtual machine and on real hardware. Today I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my Laptop and installed my application to check if all working fine. The application per say started, but exited with error message in scipy. I thought that the runtime library which I included with the application was not installed, but it was there. Upon investigation about scipy error messgae, I found that it is related to visual studio runtime library. I installed latest release from https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads and tried my application again. It worked this time.

So, is the runtime library pynsist ships with the application different from the executable listed in above Microsoft web link? Does it mean that I have to warn users about the missing runtime executable?

I didn't say thank you last time. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the beautiful library. Unlike PyInstaller and other freezing libraries, pynsist just works. Read your documentation for few hours and coded for an hours to get started. No freezing, No boiling No confusion and it just works.

Great work man.

Add PRODUCT_PUBLISHER as an NSIS variable

Jul 24, 2020

Within the local AppDir on windows, the application author or publisher is often included as the parent path of the product, for example C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\publisher_or_author\appname. Thus, exposing the publisher, would allow installation into this hierarchy via something like the following in the pynsist config file:

filepath > $LOCALAPPDATA/${PRODUCT_PUBLISHER}/${PRODUCT_NAME}

How to detect code is running from a Pynsist installation

Sep 4, 2020

Is there a way during runtime to determine if the code is running from a Pynsist installation? I had a look at the docs and issue tracker, but didn't find anything.

PyInstaller has sys.frozen: https://pyinstaller.readthedocs.io/en/v3.3.1/runtime-information.html Briefcase has PEP 566 package metadata: https://github.com/beeware/briefcase/pull/425

Does Pynsist have something similar?

Docs: How to single source version number?

Nov 17, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for making and maintaining this awesome package! I was about to create something similar, but was happily surprised there is already a package that does the job. I have a question about single sourcing the version number.

Currently, I use a common strategy: __version__.py inside mypackage folder, which has just

__version__="1.1.0"

And then, in the setup.py, I read the version using some regex. In application code, I read the version by just importing by from mypackage.__version__ import __version__. or similar. When using pynsist, I have to define a version number for the application in installer.cfg:Application.version.

What is the recommended way to single source version number in applications using pynsist? I suppose there are many ways to do it, but probably there is one is covers most use cases and/or is better than the others.

Docs: How to single source dependencies?

Nov 17, 2020

I decided to ask about single sourcing dependencies in separate issue, since there might be slightly different approach than with version numbers.

Currently, I list my dependencies in setup.py:

import setuptools

'click>=7.0',
            'ipython>=7.4.0',
            'geopy>=1.2.0',
            'numba~=0.51.1',
            'pandas~=1.1.2',
        ],

This is needed so that I can install the mypackage in editable state with

pip install -e <folder>

This is not, however the full list of packages, since all of the packages listed in install_requires might depend on other packages. Since I am using virtual environments, I can easily take a snapshot of everything I'm using with pip freeze. I could use this snapshotted list (with perhaps some manual editing, removing development time dependencies) then in the setup.py and installer.cfg. But if I modify anything, I have to remember modify two places. What would be the best way to single-source dependencies? I'm thinking that perhaps I could put all to installer.cfg and read them in setup.py. Would that be the way to go?

building a project that has code in src directory

Jun 8, 2021

I can't seem to figure out how to build a project where the package is in one directory below config file

src
        \
         guessnumber

Should I put the installer.cfg inside the src file or is there some way to configure installer.cfg to reach in one level?

How to ship CLI and GUI of same application together?

Jun 29, 2021

My application has a support for both Command Line and Graphical User Interface. When the user enter application name without argument, then the GUI is launched and if arguments are provided, then it works as CLI. Is there a way to include these two features together with Pynsist?

Built application executables broken since distlib 0.3.4

Jan 24, 2022

Distlib 0.3.4 has been released in December and there have been some changes in regards to the executables which pynsist uses to build the application executables.

The result is that the executables are broken when trying to run them from a non-command-line context (eg. a GUI application) and they immediately exit with code 3221225477 (0xC0000005). This does not happen when executing them from bash or powershell, for some reason. This was working perfectly fine previously when building pynsist installers with distlib==0.3.3 installed.

Pip 21.3.1 currently bundles distlib 0.3.3 and executables built via pip when installing wheels are therefore working. I am not sure though if this will change once pip upgrades. In this case, the issue is caused by distlib itself.

This is how pynsist builds (concatenates) the wrappers: https://github.com/takluyver/pynsist/blob/master/nsist/commands.py

Original issue, in case more context is required to understand the issue: https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink/issues/4307

configreader.py does not support python 2

Apr 15, 2015

I just tried pynsist on debian, running python 2.7.3.

The first thing I thought I would try was building the examples with examples/build_all_examples.py. It fails immediately.

The first crash happens immediately in configreader.py due to the use of the python3-only interpolation argument on ConfigParser.

Fixing this, the second crash is on the attempted use of __getitem__ with config[section_name]... also a python3-only thing.

Sorry - I have no time right now to fix this or diagnose further. I fear the python2 issues run deep since the top level example fails so immediately. I was hoping pynsist would work as it would be nice to stay in debian rather than having to jump over to windows all the time to make installers (currently doing this with cx_freeze). :(

PyQt5 dll not found

Mar 6, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently programming an app using several libraries such as PyQt5, numpy, scipy, matplotlib,... I get no error while building with pynsist but when I try to launch the app after installation, this message shows up in the log file in %APPDATA%:

File "NameOfFile.py", line 1, in <module>
         from PyQt5 import QtGui
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

I build on a Windows 10 64bit and try to install on a Windows 7 32bit and here is my installer.cfg file:

[Application]
    name=Name of my app
    version=1.0

scipy==1.0.0
        numpy==1.14.1
        matplotlib==2.2.0rc1
    files=mypackage/resources

[Build]
    directory=Some directory

I found lots of threads on the internet talking about concrt140.dll and msvcp140.dll missing but in my case they are included with PyQt5 5.10.1. I tried everything I found, but nothing seems to help...

Do you have any idea of what could be causing this issue?

Thanks, Cirn3co

MSVC 2015 runtime question

Oct 14, 2016

What needs the MSVC 2015 runtime? NSIS? Python? I wouldn't think it is needed to run the application since that is just Python and then the .pyw file.

Can't you just bundle the files that the Vista .msu installs? So when building the installer add the Vista 32-bit or 64-bit files to the installer?

Also both of the Vista links are 404. The other are fine.

implemented configuration file validation and added tests for them, closes #11

Apr 11, 2014

I have implemented the configuration validation. I guess it's easy enough to maintain and understand it like this. I also wrote tests for it, which can be checked using nosetests.

Implement Python 2.7 compatibility

Apr 9, 2014

As per #5

• Add 'optionparser' backport as a dependency when installing with Python 2
    • Use Python 2.7.6 as default version when building with Python 2
    • Include pylauncher in MSI when building with Python 2
    Application based off Gooey GUI won't launch after being packaged

Nov 9, 2018

I successfully packaged a python application that relies on the Gooey for GUI portion. Below is the code I used inside the installer.cfg file.

[Application]
    name=SAVI Tool
    version=1.0a

packages=app
    local_wheels = wheels/*.whl
    pypi_wheels = Gooey==1.0.1
        scikit-learn==0.19.0
        pandas==0.23.4
        numpy==1.15.1

# from a directory, see the docs on the config file.

# Other files and folders that should be installed
    files = LICENSE
        sample_data/
        frag_models/

The resulting packaged folder is shown in the attached image. gooey_app

If I double-click on the .exe file, the application installs inside the ./Program Files folder with name equal to the application name (in my case SAVI tool).

How can I now start the application and the GUI? The SAVI_Tool.launch.pyw file does not seem to launch/open anything. Am I doing something wrong?

How to include OpenCV?

Aug 2, 2014

I just tried to create an installer, but got the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Dropbox\Development\Pawlabeling\build\nsis\Pawlabeling.launch.py", line 21, in <module>
        from pawlabeling.widgets.mainwindow import main
      File "C:\Dropbox\Development\Pawlabeling\build\nsis\pkgs\pawlabeling\widgets\mainwindow.py", line 14, in <module>
        from ..models import model
      File "C:\Dropbox\Development\Pawlabeling\build\nsis\pkgs\pawlabeling\models\model.py", line 7, in <module>
        from ..models import table, subjectmodel, sessionmodel, measurementmodel, contactmodel, platemodel
      File "C:\Dropbox\Development\Pawlabeling\build\nsis\pkgs\pawlabeling\models\contactmodel.py", line 2, in <module>
        import cv2
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

It can't find OpenCV, even though I specified cv2 in my include list:

[Application]
    name=Pawlabeling
    version=0.2.1
    entry_point=pawlabeling.widgets.mainwindow:main
    icon=favicon.ico
    console=true

[Python]
    version=2.7.5
    bitness=64

[Include]
    # Importable packages that your application requires, one per line
    packages = pawlabeling

# Other files and folders that should be installed
    files = COPYING.txt
        readme.md
        requirements.txt
        docs/
        pawlabeling/

It seems to have forgotten to pick up the OpenCV dll's which is probably a side-effect of the rather quirky way OpenCV was installed (I used Gohlke's installer). All the dll's are in Lib/site-packages and are called something like opencv_*.dll instead of something resembling cv2.

I'm not sure how to make sure it get's included properly, I guess I could run a script that runs Miniconda to install it anyway or bundle the installer and have it run that. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Inconsistencies when running a CLI constructed with pynsist

Oct 7, 2018

So I continue to build my installer for certbot, and I would like to expose a certbot command on Windows command line.

The relevant part of installer.cfg is the following:

[Command certbot]
    entry_point=certbot.main:main

Installer is built correctly, installation behaves correctly. However, from one build + install to another, sometimes the certbot command fails. And when it fails, it just returns failed to create process. Nothing more, and I did not find any way to trigger some debug mode and provide more logs.

So I understood that the certbot.exe executable, which is copied from the NSIS installer into %installdir%\bin\, is available to the user through an injection in PATH. Direct running of certbot.exe leads to the same inconsistencies.

I also understood that certbot.exe is in fact a copy of cli-{32|64}.exe from the project https://github.com/takluyver/win_cli_launchers, that is itself a 3 years old extract of the cli-{32|64}.exe from the well-known setuptools project. Tried to copy the executables from a fresh and recent copy of setuptools, same inconsistencies.

Finally, I understood that cli-{32|64}.exe is a VisualStudio binary that reads a python script in the same folder, with the name of type cli-{32|64}-script.py (or something-script.py if the executable is renamed to something.exe). It will then resolve the Python executable path from the environment or an optional shebang available at the beginning of the python script file (for instance #!C:\some\path\to\python).

I could not succeed in repairing this behavior from the existing executables files provided by setuptools or win_cli_launchers launchers. However, I succeeded in reproducing the expected behavior with a batch file. This one:

@echo off

if not exist "%script_path%" 2> nul (
        echo Error, python script file not found on path: %script_path%
        set error=true

if %error%==true (
        exit /b 1

"%python_path%" "%script_path%" %*

This batch file, assuming to be copied in the bin directory constructed by pynsist, and assuming to be named something.bat, will execute the python script file something-script.py, using the Python distribution prepared by pynsist, and passing all command lines arguments to the python script file.

It is everything needed, when the bin directory is in the user PATH, to have a working something command available in CLI. And this works everytime.

One question and one proposition

1. Question

Is there an explanation or a process to find it, about the inconsistencies I noticed with cli.exe ?

1. Proposition

We need to consider also that cli.exe comes from the easy_install approach of setuptools, but the setuptools maintainers advise to not use easy_install anymore, because there are better alternatives. One of them is that starting with Python 3.3 for Windows, the py launcher can start scripts with a correct interpretation of the shebang to find the correct Python environment.

But anyway the cli.exe executable here is used only to expose CLI commands. And because the Python environment is strictly controlled and isolated using a NSIS installer, one can have the expected behavior with a simple batch file as I shown before.

So why not replacing the cli.exe executable by a cli.bat batch script quite similar to what I wrote ?

Update scripting of Python installer for Python 3.5

Jan 5, 2015

Python 3.5 will have a rebuilt Python installer, and it seems likely that we will need to pass some slightly different options to it. The details aren't finalised yet, I'll get back to this when they are.

32-bit QML Application not working on Windows 7

Nov 17, 2016

I created an installer using the code from https://github.com/siecje/qml-testing/tree/pynsist with the bitness=32 in installer.cfg

I installed it on the IE8 on Win7 machine from here

When I launch the shortcut nothing happens. If I run it from Python

> Python\pythonw.exe QMLApplication.launch.pyw

In %appdata%\QMLApplication.launch.pyw

there is

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "QMLApplication.launch.pyw", line 30, in <module>
        from qmlapp import Main
      File "pkgs\qmlapp\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
        from .main import Main
      File "pkgs\qmlapp\main.py", line 5, in <module>
        from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtGui, QtQml
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.